What is Copper?
Copper and copper alloys offer a combination of excellent electrical and thermal conductivity and high corrosion resistance that is easy to machine. This offers significant advantages for the production of parts for electrical applications, in which electrical conductivity is essential. Copper is a soft, malleable, and ductile metal that often needs to be strengthened for industrial applications. For example, adding beryllium to copper strengthens the alloy so that it is on par with many high-grade steel alloys. Copper is a material that is easy to shape and then heat-treated to the desired hardness to improve the durability of machined copper parts. Finally, copper offers ease of joining by a wide variety of methods, including brazing, soldering, bolding, or adhesives.
E.J. Basler offers precision machined copper parts and components with superior surface finish, tight tolerances, and long tool life.
What are the Benefits of Copper Machined Parts?
The following are some of the physical and mechanical properties that makes copper and copper alloys a commonly used material for machined parts and products.
- Superior electrical conductivity for excellent conduction of both electricity and heat
- Ductile and malleable material that is easy to shape and form
- Naturally resistant to corrosion and rust
- Higher feed speeds increase productivity and profitability
- Certain copper alloys, for example, copper beryllium, have comparable strengths to steel alloys
- Non-magnetic and non-sparking material that offers high levels of heat transfer
- Highly polished surface with a bright, reddish-brown color for added cosmetic and aesthetic appeal
- Completely recyclable for highly sustainable machining
COMMON APPLICATIONS AND INDUSTRIES
The numerous advantages and benefits of copper make it a preferred material for precision CNC, Swiss, and other machining techniques. E.J. Basler can machine parts, components, and products using copper alloys for virtually any application or industry, including but not limited to the following:
If you have a question please feel free to reach out to us and we will respond shortly.